Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Emma Smith: My Story

I was in Salt Lake City for Christmas and had an opportunity to watch the movie "Emma Smith: My Story".  Relative to her first husband (Joseph Smith Jr., the founder of the LDS Church), a lot less is known of Emma Smith.  I thought the movie was quite interesting and well done (although pretty similar to the movie "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration").  It gave me a more tangible feel for the struggles that Emma went through - the loss of multiple children, extended separation from her husband, constant attacks on her family, etc.

Awhile ago, someone who was investigating the Church asked me about Emma Smith and why she chose not to move west after the death of her husband.  I don't know if we'll ever fully know Emma's reasons for that but it did prompt me to read up on the Mormon Succession Crisis of 1844.  In case you ever become interested in that topic, this is a great analysis that I found.

1 comment:

gnp said...

A very good blog post on the topic of succession in the LDS First Presidency:
http://www.believeallthings.com/2423/succession-lds-presidency