Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Abraham Lincoln and Prayer

I was looking through a catalog and came across a framed print of this quote by Abraham Lincoln: "I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go."  I liked the quote - President Lincoln is a favorite of mine - and it reminded me of Ether 12:27: "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."  Sometimes people wonder why a caring and loving God would allow hardships - even terrible hardships - in our lives.  Perhaps it's so we'll turn to Him since we'll feel we have nowhere else to go.

No comments: