Sunday, September 24, 2006

Convictions

One of my favorite quotes is "the true measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy" (Martin Luther King). In a prior post, I said that when I'm gone, I'd like people to remember me as someone who lived his beliefs, could be counted on when it counted, and left things better than he found them. Thus, my current attempt to reorient my career around fighting global warming. But living with conviction has subtler, more day-to-day consequences. One is doing what you say you're going to do - whether big or small. Awhile ago (see this post), I said I was going to get down to 190 pounds by Christmas. My wife asked me yesterday whether I'm still planning to do that. Honestly, I was planning to ignore I ever set that goal. But that's not the example I want to set for my kids or the precedent I want to set for myself. So, despite an overwhelming desire not to, I'm going to try my best to meet my goal by Christmas. Losing 15-16 pounds in 3 months is still achievable without doing something drastic or unhealthy - although Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and business breakfasts/lunches/dinners (for my job search) will certainly increase the degree of difficulty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a tremendous role model to our children and to me. Let me know how I can best support you as you work toward this (and other) goals. love you.