Saturday, September 09, 2006

CAR Aquathon

This morning, the whole family swam in the CAR Aquathon. It was our third time participating in this fund-raising event. Each team does as many lengths of the pool as it can in a 30-minute period. We were part of the first heat and did 46 lengths. The winning team did 130 lengths (roughly 3 times as many as we did). The last two years, our performance really bugged me (we did 24 lengths my first year and 33 lengths last year ... at least we're improving). The other teams would come over to the scoreboard and wonder aloud how they did 100+ lenghts and we did only a quarter to a third of their total. I'd want to justify our performance ... we have little kids who can't swim, we have a paralyzed guy, we have some old ladies. This year, I was feeling the same way. But, then it got worse. I started taking comfort in the fact that we beat (by 8 lengths) the team of retarded kids who also had a member with a prosthetic leg. What's wrong with me? Am I really that competitive? I didn't think I was. Perhaps I was just feeding off the competitiveness of some of the other teams. Perhaps I have some deep character flaw. Perhaps I need to rent The Ringer. Who knows. At least we raised some money for a good cause.

No comments: