Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Law of Chastity

I taught a Sunday School class today on the Law of Chastity (also see here). For those of you not familiar with this topic, here is a quick refresher. Chastity is sexual purity. Those who are chaste are morally clean in their thoughts, words, and actions. Chastity means not having any sexual relations before marriage (see 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 and 1 Thessalonians 4:3, for example). It also means complete fidelity to husband or wife during marriage (see Exodus 20:14). This includes keeping our thoughts clean (see Matthew 5:27-28).

This can be a bit of an awkward topic - especially at church. Things got off to a slow start but the discussion ended up being pretty good. I incorporated some of the recent research I did on divorce rates (see prior post) in the context of chastity before marriage. I have to admit that my opinions on that topic have changed a lot over the last year. I also asked people to think about a statement by Alma (a Book of Mormon prophet) that sexual sins are more serious than any other sins except murder and denying the Holy Ghost (see Alma 39:3-5). After marriage, I could see how this could be true. I haven't fully reconciled that severity for myself in the context of premarital relations. As with other sins, though, sexual sins can be forgiven through the Atonement of Christ.

I have a really strong testimony of the Law of Chastity - especially in the context of marriage - and I pray that the Lord will continue to help me keep it in my marriage (especially as it pertains to inappropriate thoughts).

1 comment:

gnp said...

In terms of the body being a temple of God, see also 1 Corinthians 3:16-17