Tuesday, August 26, 2008

God in the Dock

My mom recently sent me two excerpts from a book of essays and letters by C.S. Lewis called God in the Dock. The first one (see PDF) is entitled "What are we to make of Jesus Christ?". It reminded me of something I read about Jesus Christ in C.S. Lewis' book Mere Christianity (see prior post). At the time, that passage by C.S. Lewis really solidified my belief in Jesus Christ being the Son of God. This other excerpt that my mom sent me goes into that topic in a bit more detail but with the same impact for me.

The second excerpt (see PDF) is from a chapter entitled "Christian Apologetics". In it, C.S. Lewis says that "for my own part, I have sometimes told my audience that the only two things really worth considering are Christianity and Hinduism." I didn't fully follow Lewis' argument around Thick religion and Clear religion. Perhaps that's more clear if you read the rest of the chapter. At any rate, I have enjoyed what I've read about Hinduism (see prior post) and fully intend to get back to it at some point. I think Hinduism has a lot to offer - and it would seem that C.S. Lewis agrees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The difference between Hinduism and Christianity is that in Christianity it's not only morals on how to live life but recognition of the one who gave us physical life but breathing it into us (Genesis) and gave life spiritually by dying for us and promising to return. It's more than what makes you happy, but also what makes you full, and who made you.