Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Burial

I was in Houston, Texas a couple of weeks ago. While driving down the highway, I passed a cemetary and it caused me to ask my wife where she would want to be buried. Note: someone else was driving while I sent the email on my Treo. Her response was: "I would say wherever you and the boys are settled. If the boys are grown and moved away, then wherever you are settled. I actually don't care - I think grave sites are for the survivors. Where do you want to be buried?" It's a good question. I've always pictured being buried by a lone tree up on a hill. Perhaps that's cliche. Maybe it's from a movie. Not sure. But that's how I've always pictured my final resting spot.

I was also thining about cremation. I've always wanted to fly so having my ashes dispersed from a plane or helicopter could be cool. Cremation caused me to think, however, about the LDS belief in resurrection and whether having a cremated body would get in the way of that. My sister-in-law's response to that question was: "I believe Church leaders have stated we recommend against it because the spirit and body will reunite. However, God will still have no problem putting it all back together even if you do cremate. So no strong stance [by the Church]."

I suppose donating my body to science is another option. Kind of noble but not nearly as nice for me than being by a tree or flying through the air. Then again, I'd be dead at that point so what do I care? As my wife put it, "I think grave sites are for the survivors" so I'd go along with whatever they choose.

2 comments:

Andrew "Art" Clarke said...

I'm with your wife; grave sites and funerals are for survivors. I figure when I die I'm done with my body and others can use it as they please.

David "El Salsero" said...

I think I'm going to pay to have my body preserved in the cryogenic chamber next to Ted Williams.

Yes, graves are for the survivors. You reminded me that I have update my will.